Informations et ressources scientifiques
sur le développement des zones arides et semi-arides

Accueil du site → Doctorat → Israel → The groundwater geology in the rainless coastal area of Peru

Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1969)

The groundwater geology in the rainless coastal area of Peru

Gilbo’a, Y.

Titre : The groundwater geology in the rainless coastal area of Peru

Auteur : Gilbo’a, Y.

Etablissement de soutenance : Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Grade : Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) 1969

Résumé partiel
The rainless desert of the coastal area of Peru - the writerQ s area of study - is a large physiographic unit extending from Tumbes in the north to Tacna in the south. The aquifers within this elong ated strip are dominated by extreme arid conditions, and are a clas sical example of aquifers in coastal desert regions, fed by flash floods. Such aquifers are typical of the coasts of the Western United States, South America, Western North Africa, South-West Africa, the Middle East and Western Australia. Through studying the aquifers and the mechanism of their recharge, the present work is hoped to contribute to the general knowledge of groundwater in coastal deserts. The exploited aquifers of the Peruvian coast are encountered mainly in alluvial fills in at least 50 separated hydrological basins, mostly river valleys. The coastal aquifers occupy less than 1 of the total area of Peru, and are thus limited to the youngest unconsolidated formations. A bout 5,000 wells distributed in these coastal aquifers, yield an annual amount of water of over 1,600 MOM (million cubic metres). This figure is equivalent to about 4.5% of the discharges carried by the coastal rivers and to about 18% of the amount of water that is utilized for irrigation "from surface flows. The Peruvian coast has a uniform climate which is character ized, in particular, by the lack of rainfall. On the east, about 60% of the length of the coastal strip is bounded by the Andean batholith, and the remaining 40% by volcanic and old sedimentary sequences.

Présentation

Version intégrale

Page publiée le 14 janvier 2022