Informations et ressources scientifiques
sur le développement des zones arides et semi-arides

Accueil du site → Master → Arabie Saoudite → Development of a Framework for Application of Solar Photovoltaic in Commercial Buildings in Saudi Arabia.

King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. (KFUPM) 2020

Development of a Framework for Application of Solar Photovoltaic in Commercial Buildings in Saudi Arabia.

BELAL AL-HAIMI

Titre : Development of a Framework for Application of Solar Photovoltaic in Commercial Buildings in Saudi Arabia.

Auteur : BELAL AL-HAIMI

Université de soutenance : King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. (KFUPM)

Grade : Master Thesis 2020

Résumé
Commercial building accounts for 15% of the total electricity consumption, moreover, in Saudi Arabia, the electricity consumption has increased by 35% over the last two decades and expected to increase by 50% by 2020. Saudi Arabia electricity demand is experiencing the current pace of 5-8% growth in demand annually, and this demand expected to experience an increase in demand due to the facts that the population of SA is rising at rate 2.5% per year. In view of the above circumstances, Saudi Arabia has to adopt a sustainable comprehensive strategy that will lead to a remarkable reduce the demand for electricity. Saudi Arabia is located in what so-called Sun Belt, which makes it suitable to be one of the largest solar energy producers. Therefore, it’s essential for Saudi Arabia to take all the measurements by Utilizing technologies to harvest this precious energy. Developing a framework to utilize photovoltaic technologies and study the possible alternatives for commercial buildings and determine the potential of those alternatives is the main aim of this study. This research also includes economic considerations and environmental assessment for the impact of adopting such technologies in the existing building. This study investigates the key hindrances that face the application of PV in the building sector. It was concluded that the lack of awareness about the solar PV is the mother of all hurdles facing the BIPV. Lack of awareness constitute all other consequences and hurdles face the BIPV like lack of technical resources and expertise available in the market. It was also concluded that the subsidized tariffs are the main driver for the occurred lack of public awareness. This study also investigated the potential of the rooftop application of solar PV in the commercial building sector of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), taking into account the four main types of commercial buildings i.e. shopping malls, hotels, office buildings, and hospitals. The study considers structural, services and other technical parameters to evaluate the available area of the rooftop. The work employed Google Earth to evaluate the areas, however, a sample of the buildings was visited physically to validate the measurements and to assess the actual existing conditions. The computed areas were linked to the population in order to extrapolate the calculations at the national level. The hurdles which hinder the application of PV systems were surveyed and evaluated in terms of the occupied area, as well as the needed area to be accessed, along with performing maintenance on this equipment. The inter-row space between the PV systems was also evaluated and computed. The study concluded that the average utilization factor for commercial rooftops is 0.54 compared to a 0.40 international utilization factor. This factor varies from one building type to another. For instance, the shopping mall buildings offer the highest potential with a UF equal to 0.60 followed by office buildings, hospitals, and hotels with the UF equal to 0.39, 0.32, and 0.16, respectively. The same approach and methodology were also applied to the building façade and concluded that 17% of the building façade is valid for the BIPV application. BIMsolar® was employed to simulate the energy potential of the PV systems. The analysis shows that the total energy potential for a rooftop installed PV is estimated to be 12 kWh/m2 while the façade is 3 kWh/m2 of the gross area of building façade

Présentation

Page publiée le 6 mai 2022