Informations et ressources scientifiques
sur le développement des zones arides et semi-arides

Accueil du site → Master → Ethiopie → Satellite Based Exploration of Land-use Dynamics, Drought Susceptibility, and Land Suitability in Central Highlands of Ethiopia

Addis Ababa University (2021)

Satellite Based Exploration of Land-use Dynamics, Drought Susceptibility, and Land Suitability in Central Highlands of Ethiopia

Yohannes, Moges

Titre : Satellite Based Exploration of Land-use Dynamics, Drought Susceptibility, and Land Suitability in Central Highlands of Ethiopia

Auteur : Yohannes, Moges

Université de soutenance : Addis Ababa University

Grade : Master of Arts in Development (Environment and Sustainable Development) 2021

Résumé
Land use land cover is dynamically changing in Ethiopia, with far-reaching implications on recurrent droughts and land suitability status. The central highlands in particular are recognized for a unique precipitation pattern, intensive cultivation, periodic droughts, and land degradation. The study intends to use satellites (mainly Landsat) to map land-use dynamics, drought susceptibility, and agricultural suitability and comparative analysis in Basona Werana district (Woreda). The land use land cover seemed to be dominated by cultivated land with approximately 74.34 percent (3/4th) of the area in 2021. Non-dominant LULC types share the rest 25.66% in the following percentage. Shrub and Bush (15.37%), Forests (5.2%), Built-up and settlement (2.87%), Wetlands (1.22%), and water bodies, pasture land, and bare land collectively account for 1% of the area. While cultivated land, grassland, shrubland, built-up and settlement areas, and water bodies have had rising land cover change trends over the last 32 years, forests, bare land, and wetlands have witnessed a decreasing trend. The Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) and Normalized Difference Drought Index (NDDI), among other indices, were used to estimate historical and non-temporal droughts respectively. While VCI estimated that extreme drought conditions affected 30.18%, 7.34%, 22.55%, and 1.77% of the area in 1989, 2000, 2010, and 2021 respectively, NDDI estimated it to be 35.91%, 40.58, 39.23, and 53.87% in those same years. To see the real context of cropland suitability constraints such as elevation, slope, soil type, Soil Adjusted Vegetation Index (SAVI), Normalized Difference Water Index (NDWI), and river proximity were weighted by various degrees of influence. The result demonstrates 5.35% of the area is highly suitable, 49.9% is moderately suitable, 28.72% is marginally suitable, 13.46% is less suitable and 2.56% is not suitable for agriculture. In this particular study, UAV imagery was particularly useful for ground-truthing satellite-based classification. It does, however, have inherent limitations when it comes to addressing standardized drought indices and land suitability evaluations. Choosing the path of sustainable development would provide a long-term solution to Basona Werana’s drought susceptibility. In agrarian areas like Ethiopia, LULC and drought conditions must be closely monitored.

Présentation

Version intégrale (5,9 Mb)

Page publiée le 21 juin 2022