Informations et ressources scientifiques
sur le développement des zones arides et semi-arides

Accueil du site → Projets de développement → Projets 2019 → CoWASH IV, Community-Led Accelerated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Ethiopia

2019

CoWASH IV, Community-Led Accelerated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Ethiopia

Ethiopie

Titre : CoWASH IV, Community-Led Accelerated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Ethiopia

Pays/Région : Ethiopie

Identification IATI : FI-3-2022-2019190050

Durée : 2019-12-19 // 2024-12-31

Présentation
COWASH IV (Community-led Accelerated Water Sanitation and Hygiene ProjectI) increases the availability of safe water and sanitation in rural areas of Ethiopia. The aimed long term impact is to improve the health of the population. WASH (water- sanitation and hygiene) sector is important in poverty reduction. In the water and sanitation sector the global policy direction is formulated in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development includes the targets for rural WASH as SDG 6.1 and 6.2. The project is based on the CMP model (Community Managed Project Approach) : the communities are themselves in charge of the construction management and maintenance of thier water points. In the course of Phase IV the CMP model will be developed further to be modified towa rds higher technologies (deep wells water supply) largely triggered by the need to adapt to climate change especially droughts. CoWASH IV will continue in the same regions selected during Phase III : Oromia Tigray SNNPR Benichangul Gumuz and Amhara. The fir st phase of CoWASH project started in 2011. Since then the project has managed to build 15000 water points enabling access to clean water for 31 million rural people. Safe water supply and sanitation facilities has been provided for 967 schools and 419 hea lth facilities. In phase IV the targeted number of people having new or re-habilitated/upgraded safe water supply is 800000. The aim is to increase the percentage of households using latrines from the current 42% up to 62%. Institutional WASH is targeted to schools and health facilities and the objective is to provide new safely managed water supply systems to 100 schools and health centres. Support to strengthened equity focuses especially to disabled people as well as girls and women. Empowerment of women in WASHCO management including participation in the decision-making processes is supported at the region and community level cooperation. CoWASH IV has an important role to ensure that project achievements and learning activities will be well documented and shared strategically to enhance the impact of COWASH IV on WASH sector policies and practices. Finland ?s contribution for Phase IV is 184 MEUR which is an estimated 44% of the total budget ; the regions and the communities will contribute the remaining 56% totaling to an estimated grand total of 414 MEUR.

Financement : Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
Budget  : 18 400 000 €

d portal org

Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Page publiée le 20 août 2022