Informations et ressources scientifiques
sur le développement des zones arides et semi-arides

Accueil du site → Master → Pays Bas → 2011 → An overview of current water distribution system of Khawajazai canal (intake) in Goshta district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan

Wageningen University (2011)

An overview of current water distribution system of Khawajazai canal (intake) in Goshta district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan

Mohmand, R.

Titre : An overview of current water distribution system of Khawajazai canal (intake) in Goshta district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan

Auteur : Mohmand, R.

Université de soutenance : Wageningen University

Grade : Master of Science (MS) 2011

Résumé
Irrigation water management and O&M of the infrastructure in Khawajazai canal of Goshta district, Afghanistan is the responsibility of a community based, traditional system known as Mirab. The Mirab system worked effectively in past but currently the effectiveness of this system has declined. The main theme of this research is to find out “the causes of less effectiveness of the Mirab system” in Goshta district, Afghanistan, by studying the current water distribution system. The Mirab system irrigation water management accounts for 90% and the remaining 10 % is done formally through government agencies in Afghanistan. The research investigated the current Mirab system and main hindrance in Mirab system. For investigation of all influential factors, certain actors from water users were surveyed, interviewed and observed. Survey questionnaires were distributed among randomly selected 30 farmers from Khawajazai canal, whose ages were 30-55 and have full information about current and past Mirab system. One government extension officer, one NGO employee who was working in neighbor district on Mirab system, community elders (Khan, Malik & Mullah) were interviewed for all other additional factors and information. Data collected from survey was analyzed both quantitatively and qualitatively to find out effectiveness of both past and current Mirab system, its current influencing and hindered factor. The idea was taken about Mirab system selection, payment and its less effectiveness in current situation. The result indicates that several suggestions were given by farmers for the improvement of Mirab system ; they mentioned support from government, community elders and NGO in terms of training to acknowledged water rights and tightened social cohesion. Some of them mentioned about making committees from all water users and building of public hall specific to discuss water related problems, Transportation and free democratic annual election for Mirab system. Cleaning of canal on time was also mentioned. It can be concluded that the main problem of less effectiveness of Mirab system is nonavailability of Shura, similarly Mirab system has less knowledge in terms of communication. It is recommended to establish committee from representatives of upstream, midstream and downstream to oversee and support the Mirab work. The amount of water needed for irrigation shall be determined according to the area under cultivation, the kind of crop, the irrigation regime, the water rights documents, the local practice and the amount of water in its source. Irrigation association should be made, in which all community elders, local government and representatives of water users should be present to elect four people, one person will be elect for Mirab position, one will be treasure and two will be assistants. Capacity building is also vital for developing institution skills. Capacity building through trainings should be given to Mirab and water users.

Mots clés : irrigation / water management / irrigation channels / water distribution systems / participation / afghanistan

Présentation

Version intégrale (2 Mb)

Page publiée le 7 février 2015, mise à jour le 17 octobre 2018