Informations et ressources scientifiques
sur le développement des zones arides et semi-arides

Accueil du site → Doctorat → États-Unis → 1984 → VIABILITY OF SMALL-FARMER COMMUNITIES IN THE ENRIQUILLO - CUL DE SAC DEPRESSION OF HISPANIOLA (CHILE)

University of Tennessee (1984)

VIABILITY OF SMALL-FARMER COMMUNITIES IN THE ENRIQUILLO - CUL DE SAC DEPRESSION OF HISPANIOLA (CHILE)

BODINI, HUGO C. C

Titre : VIABILITY OF SMALL-FARMER COMMUNITIES IN THE ENRIQUILLO - CUL DE SAC DEPRESSION OF HISPANIOLA (CHILE)

Auteur : BODINI, HUGO C. C

Université de soutenance : University of Tennessee

Grade : Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) 1984

Résumé
The viability of rural development in a semiarid environment of Hispaniola has been examined to provide basic knowledge for the improvement of living conditions of small-farmer communities. The viability of these communities in the semiarid Enriquillo-Cul de Sac Depression has been studied within the conceptual framework of appropriate development, desertification control and a small-farmer approach. Priority has been given to the geographical expression of viability and various areal levels of potential and constraint in relation to agriculture. Relationships between levels of viability, geographical characteristics, and conditions for development in each community were studied in five sectors of the Enriquillo-Cul de Sac Depression where most of the small-farmer communities are located. The technique known as threshold analysis was employed. Natural and spatial factors were used to define thresholds of viability corresponding to levels defined within the model. Economic, legal and socio-anthropological dimensions of analysis were included later to complete the definition of present viability. Areas with high, medium and low levels of viability were located, and their geographical characteristics, potential and constraints identified and measured. Official reports on productivity, costs and prices, plus the results of almost 1000 family interviews facilitated calculation of the approximate population that can be supported within each viability level. The figures demonstrate that most of the present population, about 60 percent, is located in areas with medium or low viability and that even for the other 40 percent, conditions of family income surplus, social services or physical condition of the rural habitat are inadequate. The area has no potential to support a settlement under present circumstances. On the contrary, there is a real need for investments, new economic activities and better conditions of housing and services. The alternatives to immediate development are very low levels of living and a high rate of emigration, primarily to the capital cities of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

Search Oxford Libraries Online (SOLO)

Page publiée le 9 avril 2015, mise à jour le 4 octobre 2019