Informations et ressources scientifiques
sur le développement des zones arides et semi-arides

Accueil du site → Master → Pays Bas → 2002 → Development of information system to support hydro environmental economic modelling of Lake Naivasha area

International Institute for Aerospace Survey, Netherlands (2002)

Development of information system to support hydro environmental economic modelling of Lake Naivasha area

Lasantha, Perera

Titre : Development of information system to support hydro environmental economic modelling of Lake Naivasha area

Auteur : Lasantha, Perera

Etablissement de soutenance : International Institute for Aerospace Survey, Netherlands

Grade : Master of Science (MSc) 2002

Résumé
Growing population has increased pressure on land and water resources. Water is limiting resource throughout most of Africa. In Kenya problem is critical as 75% of the country is either arid or semiarid and remaining 25% is agricultural and heavily populated, leading to excessive use of land. Lake Naivasha which is the second largest fresh water lake in Kenya has gained much economic important recently due to horticulture farming. The excessive use of Lake Naivasha water for irrigated agriculture is leading to a drop in the level of water in the lake. The net economic return of farms around the lake per use of unit cubic metre of water has been used as a primary management tool to regulate and manage the use of water in the lake among the competition sectors and to provide a safe environment. The number of studies related to use of water in the Naivasha catchment, have been carried out by ITC students and staff members. Over the last decade, an enormous amount of information has been collected. Not all data are in easily accessible form ; formats and most of databases are not linked to georeference land units. The study aims at the development of a GIS-based information system that integrates Hydro- Environmental-Economic models. This study used a structured methodology, which is one of the system development methodologies to build an information system. The system was designed through three main phases such information system analysis, system design and system implementation. Context data flow diagram (DFD) and its decomposition into low-level diagrams used in the system analysis. Top-level diagrams in the DFD emphasis sub systems of data collection and irrigated area mapping, economic modelling, crop-hydrological processing and analysis. Data modelling techniques such conceptual and logical modelling, were used in the system design. These data modelling steps were consisted of Entity-Relationship diagrams. The hydro-environmental-economic modelling database was designed in Microsoft Access 2000. The proposed GIS was implemented by ArcView package and Microsoft Access. The out come of the system is in the form of maps and reports. Finally, a user friend interface for the system process was designed to the system user to visualize different scenarios based on input parameters.

Sujets : Lake Naivasha, Kenya ; Hydrology ; Economics ; Irrigation ; Horticulture ; Geographic information systems ;

Version intégrale

Page publiée le 14 janvier 2017, mise à jour le 14 novembre 2019